Pages

Hey everyone! Welcome to my new Blog! My old one (For The Love Of Film And Novels) is currently active and will be until this June.

This Blog still needs A LOT of work haha :) as you can see, but it should be up and ready with all of my old followers from my other blog and other posts sometime in April so yeah just wanted to all let you know and I apologize if there's any confusion! Oh and if you are new, please do follow, any way you can and hope you visit again :)

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Fading (Fading #1) By: E.K. Blair *Dream Cast, Book Excerpt, Review & Giveaway*



Book Description
Via Goodreads 

Can a guilty conscience keep wounds from healing?

Fine arts major, Candace Parker, grew up with a mother who thinks image is everything, and her daughter’s perfection will never be good enough. About to graduate college and pursue her dreams of becoming a professional ballerina, Candace decides it’s time to let go and have a little fun. But fun is short-lived when a brutal attack leaves her completely shattered. 

The memories that consume and torment Candace are starting to destroy her when she meets Ryan Campbell, a successful bar owner. He feels instantly connected and tries to show her that hope is worth fighting for. But is Ryan harboring his own demons? As walls slowly begin to chip away, the secrets that are held within start to become painful burdens. 

At what point do secrets become lies?

(17+) This book contains mature subject matter that is not suitable for those under the age of 17.



Check Out This Great Dream Cast :)




I can't Resist....here's a Book Excerpt

The xx Concert

Leaning forward, resting my elbows on the bookcase, Ryan lowers himself next to me, and I instantly feel Jase’s protective hand on my back. Standing here, next to Ryan, we listen to The xx play an extended version of ‘Intro.’ The languid plucks of the guitar are soon interlaced with the ever thumping of the bass drum. The song begins to intensify into a fusion of haunting and seductive sounds. I push back off the bookcase while Ryan remains leaning on his elbows. I watch him. I shouldn’t be, but I am. His hair is a rich dark brown that falls slightly over his ears. He has a strong, well-defined jaw and a muscular frame that is evident through his dark grey shirt. Looking back at me over his shoulder, a small lock of his hair falls over his forehead. What am I doing? I take a step back as he pushes himself off the bookcase and looks at me. Turning around quickly to walk away, I run smack into Mark’s chest.
Tripping over my own feet, he catches me and asks, “Whoa, everything okay?”
“I wanna go,” I say softly so that no one can hear me but him.


Book Trailer


My Review
*Thanks to the Author, for a Review Copy*

It's been a while for me, to feel so good about a book. Since March, I have not read a lot and have not written any reviews really, because of school, but I'm happy now to write a review of E.K. Blair's Debut Novel: Fading. By first reading the blurb, I felt that this was a different novel, one that was authentic, and something that would not remind me of another book, and yeah I was definitely right. 

The writing, throughout the whole book just strung me along to read more, and honestly, the situations,  including the painful one that Candace goes through, seems so realistic. This story takes place in Washington, and Candace is about to start her senior year at college, with her best friends, Kimber and Jase. These two friends are her rock, especially Jase; they have been there for her, and have showed her a different kind of life, than the one she had been living with her wealthy self-involved parents. They do not approve Candace's choice of a dance major, but they don't get it, this is Candace's true passion; she loves and sometimes breathes ballet. Before the school semester starts she gives in and and goes out with a family friend's son, Jack. Candace doesn't do relationships, not since high school, where she had one relationship that... well ended too quickly in different ways. She's very hesitant to go on date with Jack, but she caves in and on their second or so date, a tragic event takes place....she's raped....by Jack. After this happens, her best friend Jase is there with her, helping her cope, for a couple months even, while he's balancing a relationship with his boyfriend, Mark. A few months go by and then Candace meets Ryan, a bar owner of a bar, that Mark's band plays at, and there is some instant chemistry between these two, but Candace just wants to be friends, but...for how long? I know by writing more about the story itself, I would definitely give a lot of way, but Ryan and Candace fall into a relationship that one day would be so hard to fall out of, so lastly, do they fall out of it? You are going to have to read for yourself :)

The story itself, again, was well written. There is a relationship that blooms here, but there is also a character that goes through something that is just so wrong and traumatic, and I definitely felt for Candace, for what she went through. I didn't mention it much in the paragraph before, but after Candace goes through this, she is first traumatized and doesn't want to be near others, because first she's embarrassed, but also because she feels she can't trust anyone, except Jase, who is a loyal friend, and I can't explain more, other than that he is constantly there for her, and without him, who knows how Candace would have been. I definitely think she grows as a character, and stands up to her parents even, and that took guts, but she takes back something that was taken from that awful night, and I just think you have to read this novel, to read for yourself of Candace's journey, and I'm so glad I did. I felt I can understand Candace's feelings of why she gets so emotional when something triggers, that makes her cry all of a sudden. She's an only child, and I know how that feels like, and when you have those core best friends like she has in Jase, tough situations in a way dissolve; it may not be fast but it does eventually. 

Her nonexistent family life was relatable and her parents just reeked out awfulness and as I mentioned, when she stands up to them, well it's a great moment. I'm glad she has goals, including her dance career, as she pours her heart and soul into it. Her love for ballet was truly inspiring. I'm not familiar with ballet but did participate in another type of dance. Starting at the age of 3, until a few years ago, I performed and understand the concentration and how the lack of it can just make whatever dance you are doing. feel imbalanced, and you can feel like you can never make it back, and Candace does make it back to her love of ballet. I relate to how she feels, when on stage, it's just you and you can't really see the others in the audience as you're just in some other place with your dance. 

The characters were all written in a way, that they made me feel like they would be someone I would know or they reminded me of one of my own friends. This story is all in Candace's POV, except in the very very beginning, but I liked reading her story, through her voice, and I think you will too, but I'm not going to lie; I definitely would have liked to read Ryan's POV too :) Now to Ryan... I think I developed a little book crush on him, and it's rare for me to do that, but Ryan seems like a great guy, and pretty hot too :) He and Candace start out as friends, but to them it feels natural that they would move onto something deeper, and I liked that; that their is a build up. Each story to me, is of course unique, and sometimes in romances, there is a fast connection, and I like that too, but here in this story, I think the Author did a great job of what works in her story, and there is a build up to a meaningful and hot romance. Ryan has some issues of his own, and you will read about them, but really he is the perfect guy for Candace. 

There is something that happens, and throughout the story, if you are really paying attention to the very beginning, you will wonder when a "truth" comes out, and that truth does threaten Ryan's and Candace's relationship, and you have to read for yourself to read what happens, if they make it, or break things off. I don't want to give too much but I was worried but glad how things eventually went. I'm really curious about Ryan's story like, if its going to be from his POV from the whole time period of this story or is there going to be a continuation of this story? It seems like its going to be from his POV but either way I look forward to it because I love this story and the characters and can't wait to read more about them. I also can't wait to read Jase's story too, as I loved his relationship with Mark, in this one, and just look forward to revisiting these characters again :)

My Rating: 5/5 (Yup, I really loved it!)
I say R-Rated as there is a Rape Scene, some Language and Sexual Situations. 


The Author's Social Media Links


Twitter: @EK_Blair_Author



Tour-Wide Giveaway (Check this out!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...